Friday, August 13, 2010

Design on a dime - Kitchen Table Set

My brother-in-law is moving into his new bachelor pad closer to his hospital in November, so we've decided to give him our Le Corbusier Dining Table Set from Virez that no longer fits the transitional style of our overall decor. I was in the market again looking for a new kitchen table set (YAY!). Christine's Custom Furniture, recently re-branded to Anne-Quinn Furniture, is always one of the first few stores that came to my mind. A versatile and timeless round pedestal table like San Montego in solid mahogany undoubtedly tops my preference. Within weeks, it has been custom made to my kitchen and now en route to Canada! I expect to receive it in late September, and can't wait to pair it with the Napoleon chairs I painted (read on).

Here is a picture of the table sent by Christine's supplier. The table is 45" in diameter, perfect for my kitchen dining area. I will take more close-up pictures when I receive it.

Napoleon chair made of solid hardwood is generally not available through big box stores, and it can go for anywhere between $250 to $500 a piece. I wasn't going to spend $2,000 for four dining chairs in my kitchen, so I turned to local classified web sites such as Kijiji. Upon first attempt, I couldn't believe my luck that a lady was selling four Napoleon dining chairs, in mint condition, made of solid maple, for $100!!! Yes, you heard it right, 4 Napoleon chairs = $100! I wanted to paint these chairs in solid paint to begin with, so I didn't care much about the wood grain (or lack of it) as long as it's made of durable and sustainable hardwood.

Here is a picture of the BEFORE and AFTER. After sanding, I used a very good and soft brush ($15, it's almost like watercolor brush leaving little to none streaks behind) and a small can of Martha Stewart semi-gloss paint in Chinchilla MSL264 ($25), and I was all set to go. This is Martha Stewart's Chinchilla MSL264. It was very easy to apply, and the finish was very smooth and even. This is the chair from another angle. They are sitting in the basement now screaming to see the sunlight in my kitchen. I will be adding dark color seat pads/cushions to make them more comfortable. And this is the look I was trying to accomplish by combining a dark espresso round pedestal table, and dove-grey Napoleon dining chairs. This is a picture taken from Greenpark's Princess Margaret Lottery Grand Prize Home. While I wonder how much a kitchen table set in a $3.6 Million Dollar show home costs, the only certainty is that my cost will beat theirs -- my total price tag including the table, four chairs and makeover materials only comes to $1,200! There is always a way to achieve the designer look without breaking the bank.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...